Bachelor of Arts Degree in Mathematics

Frequently Asked Questions

What kind of job can I get with this degree?

As a general rule, a college major does not prepare you for one specific job, but rather it enables you to develop skills and abilities that can be applied to a broad range of occupations. A degree in mathematics is no exception. Your skills and knowledge in business, communications, history, the natural sciences, and the social and behavioral sciences, combined with a strong foundation in mathematics, prepares you for career paths in many fields.  Careers can include, actuarial science, engineering, statistical research and analysis, education, etc.

How many classes do I have to take?

All math majors must earn a minimum of 120 credit hours to earn the B.A. degree—31 credit hours in the major; 75 hours in general education courses (subjects such as English, humanities, social and behavioral sciences, natural sciences, history, information systems, and foreign language); and the remainder in electives.  Classes can range from one to five credits.

What kinds of classes will I have to take?

The Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree program in Mathematics at IU Kokomo is centered in two broad categories: theoretical mathematics and applied mathematics.  Once you have selected between theoretical and applied math, you'll take a core of courses in your particular area of concentration. Required courses for both concentrations include Calculus I and II and Linear Algebra for Undergraduates.

What is accreditation and what does it mean?

Accreditation is a process by which the university and its programs are reviewed by the Higher Learning Commission every 10 years.  IU Kokomo is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.

How many students will be in my classes?

The number of students can vary from 10 students in upper level classes to over 100 students in some of the lower level courses.

What are faculty qualifications?

Most IUK faculty members have doctorate degrees. Other faculty members have masters degrees.

Can I do an internship with this program?

Yes, internships are available for this degree.

Can I study abroad with this degree?

There are various short term "study abroad" programs available.

Will you help me find a job when I graduate?

IU Kokomo's Office of Career Services, located in the Kelley Student Center, can assist you with aptitude and interest assessments and help you prepare for the job search and interview process.

Are there student organizations for this degree?

There is the Science, Mathematics & Informatics (SMI) Pre-Professional Club.  The club is open to anyone involved with Mathematics, Informatics, or Science, including Pre-Med, Pre-Vet, Pre-Dentistry, and Pre-Pharmacy students.

How can I get in touch with my professor?

Professors will put their contact information in their syllabus. They can be reached by email, by phone, or by visiting their office.

Do I get an advisor to help me schedule classes?

Advising for this major is provided in the Arts and Sciences Advising Center.

How do I change degrees?

You can contact your academic advisor to facilitate a degree change.

What is a major?

A major is your main field of study; i.e. biological and physical sciences, biology, chemistry, etc. 

Can I double-major?


What is a minor?

A minor would be your second field of study. You take fewer credits in a minor than in a major.

Can I minor in anything I want?

Yes, as long as the minor you want is available and you take the required courses for it.

What is a concentration?

This would be a specialized program within your major. The mathematics degree has two concentrations; i.e., theoretical mathematics and applied mathematics. 

What's the difference between an associate, bachelor, master and doctorate degree?

The differences would be the length of time and the credit hours; i.e. associate degrees are usually 2 years, bachelor's degrees are usually 4 years and master and doctorate degrees are post-baccalaureate programs that can be completed in graduate school.