Office of Student Affairs and Enrollment Management
International Student Services

Becoming an F-1 Student

If you are like most international students at Indiana University, you will begin your studies with F-1 status. It is the most common status for full-time international students in the United States.

Depending on your situation, you can apply as an F-1 student from your home country or while staying in the US under a different visa status.

If you are already in F-1 Status and is transferring between US institution, this process does not apply to you.

F-1 Regulation Basic


If you have F-1 status, your tuition money can come from any source—your parents, your government, a corporate sponsor, or a scholarship or loan.

On-Campus Employment

If you are an IU Kokomo student, you can work on campus. However, there are restrictions. Please contact OISS for more information.

Off-Campus Employment

You may gain permission to work off campus if the job is directly related to your field of study, or in rare cases, because of severe economic hardship. However, you must first get authorization from either OISS or U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).  Please contact OISS for more information.


If you have a spouse or unmarried child(ren) under the age of 21, they can enter the United States using an F-2 visa. However, they will not be able to study full time at the postsecondary level or to work.

Post-Graduation Options

As an F-1 student, you have a number of options, and can even get a job using Optional Practical Training (OPT).

Applying to IU Kokomo from outside of the US

To apply as an F-1 student from outside of the US, you will need to obtain the F-1 Visa to enter the US. Ready to get started? Learn more about applying for an F-1 Visa.

Applying to IU Kokomo from within the US

To apply as an F-1 student from within the US, you will need to go through the change of status process to change from your non-immigrant status to an F-1 student.  Ready to get started?  Learn more about applying for Change of Status.