The Film Studies minor provides a strong foundation for students interested in film analysis, the history of film, theoretical and critical approaches to film, mass communication, and film production. Students choose from a variety of courses offered in the disciplines of Comparative Literature, English, Journalism, Music, and New Media Communication.
Students may earn the minor in Film Studies by completing the following for a total of 18 credit hours:
- CMLT-C 190 Introduction to Film (3 cr.)
Choose 15 credit hours from the following courses:
- CMLT-C 390 Film and Society (3 cr.)
- CMLT-C 392 Genre Study in Film (3 cr.) (May be repeated once for credit with a different topic)
- CMLT-C 491 Authorship in the Cinema (3 cr.)
- ENG-L 295 American Film Culture (3 cr.)
- ENG-L 395 British and American Film Studies (3 cr.)
- JOUR-C 200 Introduction to Mass Communications (3 cr.)
- MUS-Z 103 Special Topics in Music for Nonmajors: Musicians and the Movies (3 cr.)
- NMCM-N 260 Video Production Practicum (3 cr.)
- NMCM-N 360 Advanced Video Production Practicum (3 cr.)
At least 9 credit hours of the total 18 credit hours for the minor must be taken at the 300-level or above.
At least 9 credit hours of the total 18 credit hours for the minor must be taken at IU Kokomo.