ESL services provide academic support by a certified ESL tutor for students who have learned English as a second or other language. Working one-on-one with an ESL tutor and instructors allows students to better master American university cultural expectations and gain proficiency in the critical strategies for college-level writing.
ESL Services are individually tailored to each student’s specific needs and goals. Efforts are directed toward helping students acclimate to IU Kokomo educational and societal customs as they continue their academic journey.
ESL Tutor Services
- Support for any class, not just English!
- Writing assistance (same as the Writing Center!)
- Writing processes: research and outlining to editing and revising
- MLA/APA Style assistance
- Reference/citation guidelines (how to avoid plagiarism in writing)
- Act as a liaison for students and instructors
- Project guidance and breakdown
- Further explanations of assignments, syllabi, and assessments
- Cultural expectations in American Universities
- Assessment assistance (pre-approval and setup required by instructor)
- English fluency practice for reading, writing, speaking and listening
- Preparation and rehearsal assistance for oral presentations
- Develop or strengthen study skills