Skip to main content
Skip to main navigation
Skip to search

Frequently Asked Questions
Where is the Accessibility Center?
We are located in the Kelley Student Center, Room 200.
What type of documentation does a student have to present to the Accessibility Center?
A student must self-identify to our office and have medical documentation of the disability.  This documentation must be from a medical doctor, psychologist, psychiatrist, or other health specialist, be within the last three years of date of request, and be on official letterhead.  We no longer accept IEP’s as documentation.
What should the medical statement say?

The medical statement should state the disability and any limitations that the student has.  In addition, it should recommend how to modify the student’s educational setting to assist the student in meeting the goals and objectives of a class.

What happens once the student is approved for services?
Once the student’s disability is verified and meets the guidelines of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Accessibility Center can provide a letter outlining classroom modifications that the student will give to each instructor every semester.
Does the student tell the professor about the students’ disability or does the Accessibility Center?
It is the student’s responsibility to take the letter to the professor and make arrangements with them for fulfilling the classroom accommodations each semester.
What if the student needs a note taker?
It is the student’s responsibility to find someone to take notes for them in each class.  This can usually be accomplished by asking a classmate during the first week of class.  Please send the note taker to our office as soon as possible for payroll purposes.  If the student has problems identifying a note taker, they should first speak to their instructor, and then contact the Accessibility Center.
What if the student needs a scribe/reader?

When using a scribe/reader, confirm the day/time of your exam at least one week in advance with your instructor.  Let the Accessibility Center know as soon as the test is scheduled so that a scribe/reader can be assigned.

What is the difference between a note taker and a scribe/reader?

Generally, note takers are enrolled in the same class as the student receiving services. Note takers take lecture notes for the student.  There are note writer pads available that allow the note taker to take class notes and make a copy simultaneously. The note taker and student can decide the best method that works for them. Note takers can also take notes using a lap top and then email the student the notes. A scribe/reader cannot be in the same class as the student receiving the services. They will read the material aloud to the student or write down verbatim what has been said by the student during an exam. 

Are note takers and scribes/readers paid?
Yes.  Note takers and scribes must come to the Accessibility Center and complete paperwork, by appointment, in order to be paid.  The note takers should come to our office as soon as possible after being identified. The note taker cannot receive pay until payroll has been completed in compliance with federal law.
Does the disabled student have to meet the same criteria for the class that other students do?
All students seeking modifications in the classroom are expected to meet the same standards, goals, and objectives as their classmates.
What forms of accommodations may students receive?

All accommodations depend on a person’s disability, but some possible services that are offered are: note taker, scribe/reader, extended time on test and/or quizzes, computer software for laptop and desktop computers, etc…

Last updated: 09/21/2018