In the event of a bomb threat:
- DO NOT HANDLE THE OBJECT!
- Clear the area and immediately call the IUPD at 363. The IUPD will make the appropriate notifications. IUPD will notify Physical Plant.
Any person receiving a telephone call bomb threat should ask the caller:
- When is the bomb going to explode?
- Where is the bomb located?
- What kind of bomb is it?
- What does it look like?
- Why did you place the bomb?
Keep talking to the caller and record the following
- Time of call
- Age and sex of caller
- Speech pattern, accent, possible nationality, etc.
- Emotional state of caller
- Background noise
IMMEDIATELY notify the Indiana University Kokomo Police Department (IUPD) at 363 and report the incident.
- The Director of Safety and Security or his/her designee will determine if the building will need to be evacuated.
- The IUPD officers will conduct a detailed search. Employees are requested to make a cursory inspection of their area for suspicious objects and to report the location to IUPD and the Kokomo Police Department. DO NOT TOUCH THE OBJECT! Do not open drawers, cabinets or turn lights on or off.
- Assist the disabled in exiting the building if possible otherwise take note of their location and notify IUPD or responding emergency personnel of their location. Remember that elevators are reserved for disabled persons. Do not use elevators in case of fire. Do not panic.
- Once outside, move to a clear area at least 500 feet away from the affected building. Keep streets, fire lanes, hydrants, and walkways clear for emergency vehicles and crews.
- If requested, assist emergency crews as necessary.
- DO NOT RETURN TO AN EVACUATED BUILDING unless told to do so by a university official. The incident commander on the scene will notify the Kokomo Police Department of the situation.