Managing a Club
Managing a student club is a great way to make friends and gain leadership experience.
Each year, organization officers must register/update their group in My Involvement. They must update the list of officers and also provide an updated constitution, if applicable, along with the organization's mission.
Organization officers must meet with a staff member of the Office of Student Activities each year to review purchasing guidelines. Access to funds will not be available until after a designated club officer has recieved leadership training through the Office of Student Activities. Funds become available July 1. Each organization is responsible for meeting with the Office of Student Activities and completing the organization's form.
All purchases must be approved by the staff of the Activities Office. Failure to do so will result in a freeze on all funds designated for the organization in the current fiscal year. Any purchase made for an organization by the Office of Student Activities will be deducted from that organization's account balance.
IU has significantly changed its purchasing guidelines. Purchase orders are now the IU preferred means of purchasing. All purchases must use a contracted IU vendor, if one is available. If there is not a current contracted vendor, please provide us with your preferred vendor.
The organization representative must provide the necessary information for orderding at least two weeks prior to the date needed and allow a minimum of two weeks for processing. Be prepared to sit down with a staff member for 30 minutes to complete this process.
Club Member Makes the Purchase
On the occasion that a club member may make a purchase (only an option if vendor does not take a purchase order). The club representative may obtain a tax exempt form from our office and pay with cash, check or credit card. Turn in the itemized receipt (must show items purchased) to our office and be reimbursed within 10 days of turning in the receipt.
Departmental Credit Card Purchase
On occasion the Student Activities office will make the purchase with a credit card. This is only an option if vendor does not take a purchase order. Please provide our office two weeks notice of needed items and needed ordering information. Be aware, not all items may be purchased with the departmental credit card and limited staffing may not allow staff to leave the office to make the purchase. Vendor must accept Visa.
Purchases over $1000
Any purchase over $1000 must be put out for bid, meaning we comparison shop among different vendors to get the most competitive price. This requires an additional two-week allowance for purchasing to process and solicit the information. The names and addresses of three vendors who can supply the item are also required. You must allow an additional three to five days for shipping when your vendor is located outside of the area.
Use of IU Name and Logo
Any use of the Indiana University name or logo must be approved by Student Activities Staff, must meet university trademark and licensing requirements, and must be printed by a licensed vendor.
Student organizations and several student leaders have mailboxes in the Office of Student Activities. Please check your mailboxes regularly. Even in the era of e-mail, information is occasionally distributed via the organization's mailbox. Please keep them free of outdated material.
You must use IU Kokomo Food Services for all on-campus catering.
- Pizza may be ordered for call-out meetings. This must be done by the Activities office.
- Pre-packaged food (e.g. from Kroger) may be used for call-out meetings.
- Pre-packaged food can be paid for by a member and you can get reimbursed, but stay within budget and keep tax free. You can get a tax exempt form from our office.
The Office of Student Activities has an IU Kokomo Telephone Directory and an IU campus-wide directory. For immediate information on the IU Kokomo campus, dial (765) 453-2000 off campus.
When using the telephone directory, you will see an extension number. If dialing the number on campus, simply dial the extension number; if dialing off campus, dial (765) 455-9 and then the extension number.
Please see the Sign Policy (PDF). All publicity materials for student groups receiving student activity funding must have the following two statements: (1) If you have a disability and need assistance, special arrangements can be made to accommodate most needs. Please contact the Office of Student Activities at (765) 455-9203 for assistance, and (2) Funded in full (or in part) by IU Kokomo student activity fees.
The Office of Student Activities has a variety of methods of communication at their disposal for the advertising of meetings and events. By e-mailing the secretary in the student activities office the information you would like advertised (at least three weeks prior to the date), the information will be distributed on the campus digital signs. The student newspaper will assist in promoting events with advance notice firstname.lastname@example.org
Registered student groups may create fan pages on Facebook. The University's name should not be used in the name of the organization. Organization name at IU Kokomo is ok. Remember that your organization is responsible for all content on the page, so monitor it on a regular basis.
There is a Student Activities Bulletin Board in the hallway of the Main Building that organizations may use to hang posters and/or flyers advertising their activities. Please see the Sign Policy (PDF).
The Office of Student Activities offers an assortment of colorful 8 1/2" x 11" paper that you can use for your organization's documents or camera-ready flyers. Duplication requiring 99 or fewer copies may be completed by the Office of Student Activities. For copy requests exceeding 100 pieces, the Office of Student Activities will have the Office of Mailing and Duplicating complete the order; student organizations will be charged for any duplicating requests over 30 sheets. Limited color printing is available, the charge is $.25 per sheet. Please see the administration's Sign Policy (PDF).
If you would like your posters, flyers, or other documents laminated, please submit a completed Lamination Request Form the charge is $1.00 per foot.
If your organization has outgoing mail, the Office of Student Activities can provide supplies, information, and assistance, provided the mailing is related to the organization. The organization will be charged for any mailings over 20 pieces. If you require the generation of mailing labels for specific majors (such as psychology majors for Psychology Club), please request this from the Office of Student Activities.
If your organization has outgoing mail to send to other campuses, please use intercampus envelopes; the Office of Student Activities can provide the necessary supplies and services.
All registered student organizations should complete the Event Scheduling Form for any and all campus activities and meetings. (All non-registered groups should directly contact Physical Plant's Event Planning.) Space is limited and is filled on a first-come, first-served basis, so be sure to make arrangements in advance. Please cancel the room request if you re-schedule or no longer need the room.
If your organization needs to hire someone who is not employed by the university (speaker, coach, etc.), you must obtain prior approval from the Office of Student Activities. Then, the Office of Student Activities must send a letter of confirmation or contract to the person, along with forms so the person can be paid. Please communicate the appropriate information to the office at least four weeks prior to the desired services. A check is mailed directly to the individual approximately one week following performance of the services.
When traveling out of the state of Indiana, you must be accompanied by your advisor. If you are taking an overnight trip, there will be additional forms the Office of Student Activities will give you to complete. Please allow plenty of time to process paperwork, especially if you will need hotel reservations. Liability waivers are required for all travelers.
If you use your personal vehicle to attend a university-related event or do university-related work, you must first obtain permission from the Director of Student Development and Campus Life in order to ensure mileage reimbursement. The amount you will be reimbursed is .50 cents per mile for the first 500 miles. You must provide proof of a valid driver's license, and you must carry the following insurance coverage, as a minimum: $50,000 for personal injury to, or death of, one person, $100,000 for injury to, or death of, two or more persons in one accident, and $25,000 for property damage.
The University Bus is available to use at a rate of 56 cents per mile, plus the bus driver's wages ($12.50 per hour), for student groups. Please contact the Office of Student Activities for more information.
University Vehicle & Enterprise Rental
University vehicles are available if you are attending a university-related event or doing university-related work. Your organization will be charged for mileage.
Charges for university vehicles are:
- 56 cents per mile (for the bus)
- 51 cents per mile (for a van)
In order to use university vehicles, you must:
- First obtain approval of the Director of Student Development and Campus Life. The Office of Student Activities must have a copy of the driver's proof of insurance and driver's license before the student can use the vehicle. Finally, the Request for the Release of Vehicle to Student Driver Form (PDF) must be completed and returned to the Office of Student Activities.
- Schedule use at least two weeks in advance. Please schedule vehicles early, as availability is very limited. The university vehicles may be reserved by contacting the Student Activities Office.
- Pick up a signed IU Kokomo Mileage Report form from the Office of Student Activities.
- Submit the form when picking up the keys to the vehicle. (The key distributor will not release the keys unless this form is signed by the Activities office and completed.) The key distributor will keep the green copy on file and give you the white, pink, and cream copies to take with you.
- Return the vehicle with a full tank of gas. Gas can only be purchased at gas stations accepting the Voyager fuel credit card (included in the key holder). The PIN number for the fuel card is the last four digits of the license plate number. For any overnight trips it is permissible to park your own car in the "university vehicle" space when you take one of the cars out.
- Return the keys and completed forms to the key distributor by the date/time you have indicated it will be returned.
In order to rent a vehicle through Enterprise you must:
- Be 21 years old.
- Have a valid driver's license.
- Schedule at least two weeks in advance with Activities staff. Staff will reserve the vehicle and fuel card for you. When reservation is complete you will be contacted to go over the pick up procedures. You will be issued a fuel card the night before or day of the trip. The PIN number for the fuel card is the last four digits of the license plate number.
- Return the vehicle as directed by Enterprise. Turn in the fuel card and all receipts to Student Activities staff.
A great resource for all students, especially student leaders, is the Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities, and Conduct. Pertinent sections include Student Groups and Student Organizations and Campus Activities. Visit the IU Kokomo Dean of Students Web site for more information.
Student organizations wishing to establish outside funding accounts, separate from the university, must complete forms for a Federal ID number prior to opening the account. No student activity funds may be placed in these external accounts. When making purchases with these external funds, the student organization may not use the university's tax exempt number. Also, the account title may not include the university's name.
Student organizations wishing to solicit donations from outside sources must first submit a Fundraising Form to the Office of Student Activities and receive approval from the Office of External Relations prior to any solicitation. If approval is given, we recommend that you send a letter to the potential donor asking for the donation. Once donations have been collected, a Gift-In-Kind Form must be completed and returned to the Office of Student Activities. Fundraising Guidelines
Indiana University does not require student clubs and organizations to register and be approved by the university in order to exist on campus. However, if a student group wants to request money from the student activity fee, and utilize campus facilities, we require the group to be registered with the Office of Student Activities (see IU Kokomo Student Government Association Bylaws Title X 2A). The registration process includes the following:
- Students who wish to create an organization should submit a completed Intent to Organize Form (PDF) to the Office of Student Activities.
- Next the student(s) should submit an electronic copy of the club's constitution. Our office will do a preliminary review to ensure there is no language conflicting with Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities, and Conduct. Clubs can view other organization's constitutions and use a sample constitution as a guideline by visiting the Constitutions page. All officers and a majority of the membership must be currently enrolled students of IU Kokomo (see Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities, and Conduct Part 1, D, 3b & 3d).
- Then, the student(s) should submit a completed Student Organization Registration Form (refer to A. Student Organization Registration above).
- Finally, a letter of support from the confirmed advisor(s) of the group should be sent to the Office of Student Activities.
- If your group chooses to apply for funding through the student activity fee, see the next item (Funding of Student Organizations).
Student groups wishing to receive funding from student activity funds must be registered with the Office of Student Activities. IU Kokomo Student Government Association Senate has the responsibility of funding registered student organizations. Please refer to Title X of IU Kokomo Student Government Association Bylaws for details and budget information. A Budget Request Form must be submitted for all items your organization would like considered.
Check out the following leadership resources:
- Student activity fee monies cannot be used to make charitable contributions.
- Student activity fee monies cannot be used for the purchase of alcohol.
- Student activity fee monies cannot be used for gifts of any kind, to any individual, whether or not they are university personnel.
- Student activity fee monies cannot be used for hospitality related to fundraising expenses where the revenue from the development goes to an IU Foundation account.
- Student organizations may use their designated monies for the purchase of food for annual call-out meetings and receptions. These funds are not to be used to purchase refreshments for general meeting purposes, graduation meals, or receptions.
- Student organizations must follow the budget allocations that were approved for the current fiscal year. Any changes in these allocations must be approved by the IU Kokomo Student Government Association Senate.
- All expenditures must be cleared with the Office of Student Activities prior to the purchase.
- For almost all services, allow at least a two-week request period.
- Have all information and prepare the forms needed to complete requests and vouchers.
- Please contact us at the Office of Student Activities if you have any questions. (That's why we're here!)