Skip to main content
Skip to main navigation
Skip to search

Transferring to IU Kokomo

Each year we welcome many students who choose to transfer to IU Kokomo from other colleges and universities, or from other campuses of IU. At IU Kokomo, we are happy to work with you to see how your previous college credits will apply to the academic program you wish to pursue on our campus. 

Learn more about:

How to apply as a transfer student

How to Transfer to IU Kokomo

If you are interested in transferring to IU Kokomo from an institution outside the IU system, you can apply using our online application or you can print out an application for admission. In addition to your application and fee, be sure to send us your official transcripts from all previous institutions. Please send applications and transcripts to the Office of Admissions either by mail or email: Contact the Office of Admissions if you have additional questions.

If you are a previous IU Kokomo student update your information by filling out the online application as a returning student. Next, schedule an appointment with the Office of Student Success and Advising at 765-455-9405. If you are interested in transferring to IU Kokomo from another IU campus, you can apply online.

Any student who has attended an accredited college or university that meets the below standards.

  • Credit Hours: 12 or more college-level credits
  • Cumulative Grade Point Average: Students must have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 or better. Students with a GPA less than 2.0 or that have been dismissed the semester at their previous college are required to submit a Petition for Admissions. Contact the Office of Admissions for specific information. Students must be in good academic standing at their previous institution.

Students dismissed the semester at their previous institution or who are not in good standing may be required to sit out one semester and then submit a Petition for Admission. Please contact us for specific information.

If you do not meet the above criteria, you may be eligible for conditional admission. Please contact us for more details.

Transferring your credits

Students enrolled in degree programs generally receive transfer credit for any course from an accredited institution that corresponds to one in our curriculum (in content and credit value). After your transfer credit has been evaluated, your Credit Transfer Report (CTR) can be viewed through One.IU. Please be advised, CTRs may take up to four weeks to process during peak times throughout the year.

Acceptance of course credits from other higher education institutions is not automatic. An evaluation of previously earned credits is conducted after admission. Criteria considered in reviewing credits include accreditation, course contact hours and content, and course grade. Only courses with a grade of "C" or better will be considered for transfer credit. Courses in which you received a C- or lower are listed on your CTR as nontransferable coursework. The maximum number of credit hours allowed from a community or junior college is 64 hours unless otherwise approved in an articulation agreement. IU Kokomo has articulation agreements with Ivy Tech Community College, Vincennes University, and Ancilla College. Visit Credit Transfer Service to see how your credits will transfer to IU Kokomo.

Transfer credit may count toward your degree at IU, but it will not count toward your GPA at IU. You will be awarded the same number of hours for which you received credit at your previous institution. If the school you attended operates on semester hours, these credits will transfer to IU as is. If the school operates on quarter hours, your transferable credits will be multiplied by two-thirds to convert them to semester hours. Credits from schools that operate on unit systems or other types of credit systems will be converted to semester hours. Individual schools and departments at IU determine how transferred credits will apply toward your degree requirements. Courses for which IU does not have an equivalent offering can sometimes be transferred as undistributed (UNDI) credits. The decision as to how UNDI credits will fit into your degree program will be made by the school or division in which you will pursue your degree.

Veterans may earn college credit for educational experiences in the armed services. Submit your certified DD Form 295 and/or DD Form 214, and/or transcript from the Army/American Council on Education Registry Transcript System (AARTS) with your application. Any additional, relevant military transcripts should also accompany your application.

Ivy Tech transfer Information

We have a large transfer student population entering the campus from various Ivy Tech Community College campuses each semester. This is a resource for you to use on your journey to becoming an IU Kokomo student.

Next steps:

Step 3 - Apply for Financial Aid and Scholarships
Don't forget to apply for Financial Aid. All IU Kokomo Scholarships will be awarded after March 1st and the State of Indiana priority receive date for the FAFSA is March 10th. Learn more about Transfer Scholarships.
Step 4 - Set up your IU network account
Step 5 - Connect with Academic Advisor
Meet with your academic advisor and schedule any necessary placement testing.
Step 6 - Transfer Student Onboarding
Step 7 - Complete incomplete courses
Complete any incomplete courses at your current institution and send us your final transcript(s).
Last updated: 02/14/2019