Complaints and Grievances
Complaints & Grievances
Complaint of Unlawful Discrimination
Consistent with the Indiana University Equal Opportunity Policy, and federal and state regulations, the following guidelines and procedures have been established to address complaints of unlawful discrimination. Within a reasonable time, faculty, staff, students, visitors, prospective employees or other individuals having complaints on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, or veteran status should contact the Office of Affirmative Action:
Gerry G. Stroman
Affirmative Action Officer
Main Building Room 290C
Kokomo, IN 46904-9003
Within fourteen days of receipt of a formal written complaint, the Affirmative Action Officer shall proceed with conducting an investigation of the complaint for the purpose of effecting a resolution. The processing of complaints by the IU Kokomo Affirmative Action Officer will adhere to the following principles and guidelines:
- A direct personal interview will be held with the complainant or victim to gather specific information detailing the nature of the allegations.
- The accused party will be notified the accusation. If the supervisor is not directly involved in the complaint, the immediate supervisor, and Chancellor will be notified of the allegations.
- Efforts will be made to restrict information regarding complaints to the complainant, the accused party, and those persons directly involved in the resolution of the matter.
- All records, memoranda, correspondence, and other information/materials related to complaint investigations conducted by the IU Kokomo Affirmative Action Officer shall be retained for a period of no less than three years.
- Complaint investigations will be conducted as promptly as possible. The results will be reported in writing to the appropriate person by the Affirmative Action officer.
- If a complaint is found to be valid, action will be taken through appropriate channels of the University to rectify the situation and to reasonably ensure that such incidents do not occur in the future. University complaint channels for non- agreement of findings and displinary actions are as followed:
- Affirmative Action Officer
- Office of the Chancellor
- Office of Affirmative Action
- Office of the President
- University policy prohibits retaliation against an individual because of the filing of a complaint, or cooperating with a complaint investigation. Such incidents will be considered seriously and action will be taken expeditiously to prevent such conduct.
Complaint of Sexual Harassment
Indiana University Kokomo takes incidents of sexual harassment very seriously. The university will take disciplinary action in the case of sexual harassment of its faculty, staff, or students. If you have questions about what constitutes harassment, review the Sexual Harassment Policy or contact the campus' Affirmative Action Officer.