Pass or Fail Option

The P/F option, which permits students to designate courses to be recorded for either Pass (P) or Fail (F), is available to all undergraduate students for a maximum of two elective courses per calendar year, September 1 to September 1, with a maximum of eight courses to be applied toward graduation. These courses may not include those offered only on a Satisfactory/Fail basis. Graduate students may elect the option for a maximum of four elective courses (which may be restricted to one such course per semester) to be applied toward graduation. Other specific course limitations vary from division to division. The student should consult a divisional adviser for details.

Exercise and approval of the option must be completed by the end of the fourth week of classes during the fall or spring semester or the second week of classes during the summer session. The student should obtain a Pass/Fail form from the Office of the Registrar, secure the signature of the chairperson or acting representative of the division, and return the completed form to the Office of the Registrar by the deadline noted above.

The grades of A, B, C, and D (pluses and minuses) shall be considered as Pass (P) under the option. In no case will these grades be substituted at a later time in place of a P. The grade of P is not counted in computing grade point averages; the grade of F is included.

Instructors will not be notified of those students registering for this option. A final grade of A, B, C, D, or F (pluses and minuses) will be submitted by the instructor and will be converted to the appropriate Pass/Fail grade (P or F) by the registrar.

(Administrative Practice)

(Initially approved by the faculties of the undergraduate schools of the University, April 18, 1967, and by the Graduate Council, May 25, 1967.)

Instructors in undergraduate and graduate courses may use a grading system which includes plus and minus grades. the Registrar will use the following numerical equivalents in computing GPAs:

A+ or A     4.0           
A- 3.7
B+ 3.3
B 3.0
B- 2.7
C+ 2.3
C 2.0
C- 1.7
D+ 1.3
D 1
D- 0.7
F 0.0

(University Faculty Council, March 29, 1977)

  1. One of the above grades must be turned in at the end of the term for each student enrolled in a course.
  2. If a final grade roster is not received by the processing deadline published by the Registrar each term, a notation of NR will be printed for that course on all student grade notifications.

    (Administrative Practice)
  3. Once a grade sheet has been received by the Registrar, no grade, except that of Incomplete (I) or Deferred ®, contained thereon may be changed except with the written consent of the dean or his or her authorized representative of the college or school in which the instructor or professor is a faculty member and with a report to the faculty of the respective college or school.

    (Faculty Council, Feb. 17, 1953)
  4. Faculty members or instructors may request a change of a non-temporary grade such as A, B, etc., by submitting a Change-of-Grade memorandum or form to their dean. If approval of the grade change is granted, the dean files the grade change request with the Registrar.

(Administrative Practice)