Certificate in Homeland Security
The Certificate in Homeland Security and Emergency Management offers students an in-depth understanding of the issues and concerns surrounding homeland security and emergency management. The certificate also provides students with practical solutions in the management of natural and unnatural threats and emergency events. Upon completion of the certificate, students will be better equipped to lead their agency, department, organization, company, and community in the preparedness, response, recover, and mitigation of both natural and man-made disasters.
- Students must meet the regular Indiana University admission requirements.
- Students who are interested in pursuing the CJHS Certificate in Homeland Security and Emergency Management must demonstrate competence in ENG-W 131 or have taken CJHS-J101. Students seeking waiver of these courses must have either completed similar courses before applying to the program or have several years working experience in a criminal justice, homeland security, or related field. Waiver for these courses must be submitted in writing by the student to the department of CJHS and will be granted only by the department chair. Students must complete 15 credit hours in homeland security and emergency management with a grade of C- or higher in each course.
- Students requesting substitution of any course must complete and submit for approval the Request for Possible Substitution of Courses in Criminal Justice form which may be obtained from a Criminal Justice advisor.
- This certificate is available for currently enrolled BS students in Criminal Justice and is financial aid eligible.
- The courses for this certificate are usually offered only online.
- The following courses are required of all students seeking a certificate in homeland security and emergency management:
- CJHS-J278 Principles and Practices of Homeland Security (3 cr)
- CJHS-J387 Foundations of Homeland Security (3 cr)
- PAHM-V272 Terrorism and Public Policy (3 cr)
- PAHM-V275 Introduction to Emergency Management (3 cr)
- CJHS-J387 Public Administration and Emergency Management (3 cr)
Note: The University reserves the right to cancel courses for insufficient enrollment.