- School of Humanities and Social Sciences
- School of Humanities and Social Sciences--BA Degree Requirements
School of Humanities and Social Sciences--BA Degree Requirements
The Bachelor of Arts General Education Core requirements were updated Fall 2008. Students admitted under previous plans may use either the old or the new requirements. Specific requirements are as follows:
- The regular matriculation requirements of Indiana University.
- A minimum of 120 credit hours with a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher.
- A student must complete 30 credit hours in 300–400-level courses within the arts and sciences, although not necessarily in one department.
- Completion of 30 of the last 60 credit hours at Indiana University Kokomo.
- No more than 15 credit hours in courses outside arts and sciences subject areas, e.g., business, education, engineering technology.
- Major – 30-40 credit hours. See requirements for specific degree programs.
- Electives – 20-30 credit hours
- The General Education Core (see below)
General Education Requirements
Students must fulfill all of the requirements of the General Education Core as detailed below. This assures they have a well-rounded liberal arts education. School of Humanities and Social Sciences students and School of Science students should complete 60% of the General Education Requirements by the junior year. Students entering the program prior to Fall 2008 should consult an advisor for previous program requirements.
Campus General Education Requirements—Students must meet the campus general education requirements. In addition, students have restrictions on how they meet the campus general education requirements:
- Once enrolled in a BA degree program, any additional courses students take to meet campus general education requirements must be from those offered by the School of Humanities and Social Sciences or the School of Science.
- One of the courses used to meet the category VII requirement must be HIST-H113.
- The other course used to meet the category VII requirement must be from ANTH-A104, PSY-P103, PSY-P216, SOC-S100, SOC-S101, POLS-Y103, POLS-Y217
- One of the courses used to meet the category VIII requirement must be a literature course (any ENG-L course, any ENG-E course, or SPAN-S360)
- SPCH-S121 must be completed with a grade of C or above
Additional General Education Requirements for BA Degrees—To ensure a quality liberal arts education featuring a variety of types of knowledge, students earning a BA degree must meet the following additional general education requirements in addition to meeting campus general education requirements.
- Computer Skills Requirement—Take CSCI-C100. There is an option to test out of this requirement. Please see your advisor to discuss this.
- Writing Intensive Requirement—Take one 3-credit course designated as writing intensive, either within the student’s major or from English.
- Science—Take a 4-5 credit science lab course in an area other than the science lab course taken to meet campus general education. The two areas of science lab courses are Biological (BIOL, ANAT, MICRO, PLSC) and Physical (CHEM, GEOL, PHYS).
- History—Take HIST0H114.
- Additional Social Science—Take 6 additional credit hours from two disciplines as follows. Note, both courses must be from different disciplines than that taken to meet the campus general education requirement in 1b above.
- Choice of ANTH-A104, HIST-H105, HIST-H106, PSY-P103, SOC-S100, SOC-S101, POLS-Y103, COAS-E104
- Choice of ANTH-A104, HIST-H105, HIST-H106, SOC-S100, SOC-S101, POLS-Y103, POLS-Y217
- Foreign Language— Take 6 credit hours at 2nd year level or appropriate placement results: complete the equivalent of two years of foreign language (note, completing this also completes Category V of the campus general education requirements).