Skip to main content
Skip to main navigation
Skip to search

Frequently Asked Questions

Got questions? We’ve got answers!

Who receives advising services?

All IU Kokomo students enrolled in undergraduate degree programs are assigned at least two academic advisors who specialize in advising for their major. We also offer advising for "exploratory" students who have not yet decided on their major. You can meet with either advisor assigned to you, but you may also meet with advisors in other areas if you are considering changing your plans.

How can I find my advisor?

Students can find their assigned advisor under on the advising staff page. If you have no assigned advisor you can contact our office by calling 765-455-9405 or by email. Individual advisor contact information can also be found on the advising staff page.

You can find your assigned advisors listed in your Student Center. If you have no assigned advisor, you can contact our office by calling 765-455-9405 or by email. Individual advisor contact information can also be found on the find my advisor page.

What is “drop-in” advising?

Drop in advising is designed for quick questions and urgent issues.  Drop-ins are 15 minutes or less, and students are assisted in the order they arrive.  If you have a number of questions or need more time to work on a plan with your advisor, you may be encouraged to schedule a follow up appointment.

When should I make an advising appointment?

Scheduling an advising appointment is important for discussions that require more time, like changing your major, determining your graduation date, or crafting a success plan for improving your academic standing.  All new students should meet with their advisor one on one before they begin their first semester.  

Any time you need to discuss decisions, goals, or issues that impact your academic planning and path toward graduation.  

How do I register for courses?

As you work with your advisor, you will be introduced to the Interactive Graduation Planning System (iGPS) for course planning and registration. iGPS is a suite of online tools designed to assist you in constructing your personal pathway to your IU degree.

I need to be enrolled full time; what is full time?

Full-time students are typically enrolled in 15 to 18 credit hours. If your goal is to graduate in 4 years with no summer coursework, plan to take 15 credit hours each fall and spring semester. Full-time status for financial aid purposes is a minimum of 12 credit hours.

What should I do if I am thinking about dropping a course?

We recommend checking in with one of your advisors if you are considering dropping a course.  Dropping a course can have an impact on your graduation date, so it’s always a good idea to consult with your advisor before you make a decision about a course withdrawal.  Call, email, or stop by the advising office during your advisor’s drop in times.

If you are receiving federal or state financial aid, be sure to consult with the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships before you officially drop a course.

Why do I have an “Advising Hold”?

Advisors may place a hold on your account if there is an important action item you need to follow through with before enrolling in the next semester.  Please contact your advisor to discuss the reason for your advising hold. You will be unable to register for classes until that hold has been released.

How do I access and read my Academic Advising Report (AAR)?

You can access your AAR in your Student Center, located under "My Academics and Grades."  Then click on View My Advisement Report. 

Please read the following Knowledge Base article to help you read the AAR.


How can I calculate my GPA?

Use this link to calculate your semester and cumulative GPA.

What is academic probation?

Academic probation serves as a warning period for students when the cumulative GPA falls below 2.0. Students on probation will have the following semester to increase their cumulative GPA. All students on academic probation are encouraged to meet with their academic advisor and academic success coach regularly.

What is academic dismissal?

Academic Dismissal results when a student on academic probation has failed to increase his or her GPA.

Graduation Questions

Where can I get a copy of my transcript?

You can access your unofficial transcript under the link "My Academics and Grades" in your Student Center. Official transcripts can be obtained online or in person at the Registrar's office (KC 208).

When do I need to apply to graduate?

If you plan to graduate in December, you must apply no later than September 15.
If you plan to graduate in May or August, you must apply no later than January 15.

How do I apply to graduate?

You need to fill out this form and then submit form to your academic advisor in order to graduate.

Last updated: 09/28/2018