Skip to main content
Skip to main navigation
Skip to search

Academic Procedures


A final grade should be based on the instructor's evaluation of classroom and other assigned work and examinations given during the course.  Grades must be turned in within 48 hours after the final examination.  All 5 week and 10-week progress reports and final grades must be submitted electronically.  Please see your department secretary for instructions.  Plus (+) and minus (-) grades may be given.  For each hour of credit, points are associated with grades as follows:

A+ or A = 4.0 B = 3.0
A- = 3.7 B- = 2.7
B+ = 3.3 C+ = 2.3
C = 2.0 D = 1.0
C- = 1.7 D- = 0.7
D+ = 1.3 F = 0.0

Grade Point Average (GPA)

The grade point average is a numerical value which is obtained by dividing the total number of credit points earned by the total number of credit hours attempted.  This average is computed at the end of each semester and on a cumulative basis.

No points are recorded for an F, although the hours attempted are included in the computation.  Credit points are calculated by multiplying the points associated with a grade by the number of credit hours for the course.  Example:  3 hrs of A = 12 credit points

Grading Systems for Credit Courses

Purdue:  A+ or A = Highest passing grade











D- = Lowest passing grade; marginally passing minimal objectives of the course.

E = Conditional failure; failure to achieve minimum objectives.  This grade represents the failure in the course unless and until the record is duly changed within one semester.  It cannot be improved to a grade higher than D.

F = Failure: Failure to achieve minimal objectives of the course. The student must repeat the course satisfactorily in order to establish credit in it.

WF = Withdrawal failing; this grade counts as a failing grade.

I = Incomplete.

P = Passing grade; equivalent to grade A, B, or C.

N = Not passing.

Pass/Fail Option

The P/F, which permits students to designate courses to be recorded for either Pass (P) or Fail (F), is available to all undergraduate students for a maximum of two elective courses per academic calendar year, with a maximum of eight courses to be applied toward graduation.  These courses may not include those offered only on a Satisfactory/Fail basis.  Graduate students may elect the option for a maximum of four objective courses (which may be restricted to one such course per semester) to be applied toward graduation.  Other specific course limitations vary from unit to unit.  The student should consult a unit advisor for details.

Exercise and approval of the option must be completed by the end of the fourth week of classes during the fall or spring semester, or the second week of classes during the summer session.  The student should obtain a Pass/Fail from the Office of the Registrar, secure the signature of the chair/director/dean or acting representative of the unit, and return the completed form to the Office of the Registrar by the deadline noted above.

The grades of A, B, C, and D (pluses and minuses) shall be considered as Pass (P) under the option.  In no case will these grades be substituted at a later time in place of a P.  The grade of P is not counted in computing grade point averages; the grade of F is included.

Instructors will not be notified of those students registering for this option.  A final grade of A, B, C, D, or F (pluses and minuses) will be submitted by the instructor and will be converted to the appropriate Pass/Fail grade (P or F) by the registrar.

Extended X (Indiana University): Any undergraduate student may retake an IU course for which he or she received a grade below an A. A student may exercise this option for no more than three courses, totaling no more than 10 credits during an academic career.  In addition, a student may use this option only once for a given course. The course in which the student reenrolls should be the same course which is being replaced.  However, course numbers and titles occasionally change, and this will be taken into account.  For the course retaken, only the second grade shall be counted in the determination of the student's grade-point (GPA).  The grade for the course that has been replaced shall be marked with an "X" on the transcript.  The student's transcript shall record both grades.

To exercise the Extended X option, students must obtain an Extended X form from their academic unit, secure the appropriate signatures, and return the form to the Office of the Registrar.

The following regulations apply:

1. The policy applies to undergraduate students only.

2. The FX option applies to all undergraduate schools and divisions on all Indiana University campuses.

3. Any prior undergraduate course will be eligible for replacement if the replacement course is taken by Spring 2004 or later under the new policy.

4. Courses repeatable with different content are not eligible for replacement under this policy unless an academic unit chooses to permit this by means of a specific authorization procedure.

5. The following grades cannot be replaced under the Extended X Policy:  S, P, W, I, R, NC.  In addition, a grade may not be replaced with a second grade of W, I, R, or NC.

6. A student who has failed a course due to academic dishonesty may not retake that course for grade replacement under this policy.

7. Enforcement of the Extended X policy shall be the responsibility of the school or division which certifies the student's fulfillment of degree requirements.

8. Problems relating to the policy shall be referred to the school or division dean, or the administrator fulfilling the equivalent responsibility on the campus.

9. This policy does not apply to students enrolled in the Purdue University School of Technology programs.

Early Warning / Early Alert / Attendance / Roster Verification

Indiana University Kokomo has a five and ten-week early warning/attendance verification system.  Currently, this is managed through Canvas and faculty, including adjuncts, must complete these checks for all students in all classes. 

Incompletes - Indiana University

The grade of Incomplete (I) is an agreement between the student and the instructor and is assigned only when the required work of the course is substantially completed and the student's work is of a passing quality.  Instructors may award the grade of Incomplete only upon a showing of such hardship to a student as would render it Inappropriate to hold the student to the time limits previously fixed for the completion of his or her work.  When the grade of Incomplete is given because the student missed the final exam, s/he will be allowed to remove the Incomplete by taking the exam only if s/he has followed the regular procedure to have the absence excused.

When an incomplete is assigned, a Statement of the Incomplete form must be completed online and submitted to the Office of the Registrar.  The record will include a statement for recording the Incomplete and an adequate guide for its removal within a specified timeframe and with a suggested final grade in the event of the departure or extended absence of the instructor from the campus.

A grade of Incomplete must be removed within the timeframe stipulated by the instructor, not to exceed one calendar year from the date of its recording.  The dean of the student's college or school may authorize adjustment of this time limit in exceptional circumstances.  By assigning an Incomplete, an instructor implicitly authorizes and requires the "I" to be changed to an "F" at the end of the appropriate time period, if that instructor does not otherwise act to remove the Incomplete.  Both the student and the instructor will be notified of the change of grade. 

Forms to remove Incomplete grades are available in the Office of the Registrar.  They must be signed by the instructor and returned to the Office of the Registrar.

Students may not register for credit in a course for which they have received a grade of Incomplete.  Once a student has graduated, nothing in the regulations prohibits an Incomplete from remaining on the student record.

Note: Financial Aid and Incompletes

Students receiving financial aid must comply with a satisfactory academic progress (SAP) policy. Students receiving Incompletes are expected to have the courses completed within the guidelines of the above policy. Incompletes can jeopardize financial aid. Students under consideration for an Incomplete should be informed regarding the SAP policy and directed to the Financial Aid Office, Kelley Student Center, Room 230, if necessary.

Incompletes - Purdue University

A grade of Incomplete is a record of work in a Purdue University course, which was interrupted by the unavoidable absence or other causes beyond a student’s control, which work was passing at the time it was interrupted and the completion of which does not require the student to repeat the course in order to obtain credit. When an instructor reports a grade of Incomplete, he or she shall file in the departmental office a statement of the reason for the grade and what is required of the student to achieve a permanent grade. He or she shall also indicate the grade the student has earned on the work completed, and the weight to be given to the remainder of the work in computing a final, permanent grade. The student must achieve a permanent grade in the course no later than the 12th week of the second subsequent semester of enrollment, or the Incomplete grade will revert to a failing grade.

If a student is not enrolled for a period of three years following the semester in which the Incomplete is given, then the Incomplete grade will be permanent. The grade will not revert to a failing grade, nor will the student be able to earn credit for the course by completing the work. In order for the student to receive credit, the course must be taken again.

I—Incomplete; no grade; the student was enrolled under the regular grade option.

The student must achieve a permanent grade in the course no later than the 12th week of the second subsequent semester of enrollment, or the Incomplete grade will revert to a failing grade.

PI—Incomplete; no grade; the student was enrolled under the pass/not pass option.

Informing Students of Grades

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), a federal law, prohibits dissemination of grade information to anyone (including parents, spouses, or other family members) other than the student.

Students should be given timely, ongoing feedback (ideally through the use of the Canvas grade book) regarding how they are doing in coursework. This allows them to make an informed decision about withdrawing from the course if advisable. Students are able to access their final grades via as soon as they are posted. If you wish to make final grades available to the students before this time, you may do so. However, you may not post grades in a public space (e.g., in the hall outside of the classroom or on an office door) in any manner which would permit students to identify another student’s grades. For instance, you may not use any portion of the student’s social security number or student id number. You may not post grades in alphabetical order, even if names are expunged.

Department secretaries are not permitted (and should not be asked) to give grade information to students either in person, over the phone, or by e-mail.

Return and Retention of Materials / Maintenance of Records

Students have a right to see their graded examinations and papers and to know the basis upon which their final grade was determined. In order to assure students of this right and to avoid unnecessary disagreements, it is recommended that instructors return graded materials to students wherever possible. It is also recommended that instructors maintain student records for an indefinite period (particularly when a grade of “Incomplete” has been given) and that they retain final exams and term papers for at least several weeks—to enable the student to look at the graded materials after receiving his or her final grade.

Grade Change - Indiana University

Grades may be corrected within approximately two weeks of submitting the final grade report to the Office of the Registrar.  After that, no grade (except that of Incomplete) may be changed except by approval of the chairperson/director of the division in which the course has been offered and the Vice Chancellor for Academic
Affairs.  Approval is almost never given except to correct a clerical error. The nature and reason for the error must be made clear on the Request for Change of Grade form provided by the Office of the Registrar. When a request is made on some other basis, a definite and concise explanation must be given with a specific recommendation.

Upon completion of the Request for Change of Grade Form, the instructor should submit the form to the division chairperson or dean. When approved, the request shall be forwarded to the Office of the Registrar.  Both the instructor and the student will be notified after the change has been approved or denied.

Extreme care should be exercised in calculating and recording grades. If a grade change is requested on the grounds of miscalculation, the division chairperson or dean may request that all grades be recalculated and evidence submitted that it has been done.

Please appreciate that this strictness is to protect the instructor from pressure from disgruntled students and parents.

Grade Corrections - Purdue University

An instructor who discovers that an erroneous grade was reported for a Purdue student shall immediately submit to the Purdue Student Services office a statement, countersigned by the department head, of what retroactive correction is to be made. A correction of grade should be reported to the Purdue Student Services office within 30 days after the start of the regular semester following the session in which the erroneous grade was reported. Any correction reported after this time must be accompanied by the instructor’s explanation for the delay in reporting in addition to the approval of the department head unless the grade change is the result of a grade appeal. When a grade correction is recorded, the appropriate semester and graduation indexes will be corrected.

The grade correction form (form 350) may be obtained from the Purdue Student Services office, KC250. 

Withdraw and Grades F, FNN, and FN - Indiana University

A grade of “W” is given automatically to the Indiana University student who makes an official application for withdrawal during the first eight weeks of a regular semester or the first three weeks of a summer session. Schedule Adjustment forms are available in the Office of the Registrar. The student may initiate the action there or online via OneStart.  

After the automatic withdrawal period, Schedule Adjustment forms require the instructor's signature.  The instructor will give the student a grade of “W” (withdrawn passing) or “F” (withdrawn failing), according to whether the student is passing or failing in the course at the time of withdrawal. A student is not officially withdrawn until the signed form is returned by the student to the Office of the Registrar.

A student who simply stops attending or “drops out” of a class without officially withdrawing will receive an “FN” grade in the course and will not be relieved of any financial obligation. Faculty must retain in their records the last date of attendance for issuing the FN grade. At the time of the final grade roster, faculty should note the date of last attendance with the FN grade.  A student who never attended a class without officially withdrawing will receive an "FNN" grade in the course and will not be relieved of any financial obligation.

There are no withdrawals during the last two weeks of a semester. The last day of withdrawals is published in the semester Schedule of Classes calendar. Please make this date known to your students in your syllabus. Exceptions must be approved by the division chairperson/dean.

Withdrawal - Purdue University

Purdue students shall receive a grade for every course in which they are assigned unless the course assignment has been properly canceled at the Registrar’s office upon presentation by the student of a request approved by the academic adviser. If there are extenuating circumstances, these must be stated on the request.

When a course assignment is canceled prior to the end of two weeks of a semester or one week of a summer session, the course will not be recorded on the student’s record. When a course assignment is canceled after two weeks and prior to the end of four weeks of a semester or after one week and prior to the end of two weeks of a summer session, a grade of W shall be recorded.

Purdue students must use Purdue Revision Request forms. IU forms are not accepted. All administrative drops must be processed through Purdue Student Services.

After four weeks and prior to the end of nine weeks of a semester or after two weeks and prior to the end of four and one-half weeks of a summer session, a course assignment may be canceled upon the request of the student with the approval of the academic adviser. The instructor shall indicate whether the student is passing or failing. If the student is not passing, the case may be referred by either the student or the instructor to the dean of students, who, after consultations with the dean or the designee of the student’s school and other appropriate University agencies, shall determine whether there are sufficient extenuating circumstances beyond the student’s reasonable control to justify the cancellation of the course assignment without a failing grade.

No course assignment shall be canceled within the last seven weeks of any semester or three and one-half weeks of a summer session.

Weeks Restrictions

1–2      Approval of academic adviser; the course will not be recorded.

3–4      Approval of academic adviser; the course will be recorded with a grade of W.

5–9      Approval of academic adviser; The instructor shall indicate whether the student is passing or failing. (Students with a semester classification of 1 or 2 need not have instructor’s signature. Grades recorded for these students will be W.) A grade of W, WF, WN, or WU will be recorded. In case of a W, WF, WN, or WU, exceptions shall be determined by the dean of students.

10–16  Course assignments cannot be canceled during this period.

The cancellation of all course assignments constitutes withdrawal from the University. Cancellation of all course assignments as a result of withdrawal shall be treated and recorded in the same manner as the cancellation of a single course assignment with the additional provision that the dean of students shall determine and assign the appropriate effective date to the withdrawal.

Exceptions. Exceptions to the preceding regulations for registration, schedule revision, and cancellation of
the assignment may be made for courses that do not span the regular semester or summer session.

Schedule Revisions - Purdue University

Schedule revisions may occur following the beginning of a semester or session. Students may revise their schedule in accordance with the following policy:

Course additions, change of level, or change of pass/not-pass option: A student may add a course, change course level, or change the pass/not pass option during the first four weeks of a semester or the first two weeks of a summer session by obtaining on the schedule revision form the signatures of the academic adviser and the instructor of the course to be added or changed, if, in their judgments, the student could satisfactorily fulfill the course objectives.

In the case of extenuating circumstances, course changes may be made during weeks 5–9 of a semester or during weeks 3–4.5 of a summer session, upon the recommendation of the student’s academic adviser, instructor, and head of the department in which the course is listed.

Semester Weeks  Restrictions
1 Approval of academic adviser.
2-4 Approval of academic adviser and the instructor is required.

Extenuating circumstances only. Approval of academic adviser, instructor,
and head of the department in which the course is listed is required.

10-16 Not permitted.

Class Roster Audit

Students should be properly registered in each class. Faculty members will be electronically verifying the roster and attendance at the five and ten-week points in the semester.  No student should be allowed to remain in the class if the student’s name does not appear on the class roster. That student should be directed to the Office of the Registrar. 

Academic Misconduct

The Indiana University Kokomo procedures for imposing academic and disciplinary sanctions are designed to provide students with the guarantees of careful review and clear procedures, to ensure fairness for all students.  The procedures, therefore, provide that the imposition of disciplinary sanctions must also be based upon a consideration of all of the circumstances in a particular case, including a student’s prior record of misconduct if any.

The procedures for administering academic sanctions are delineated in the Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities, and Conduct. The faculty is encouraged to consult with the Dean of Students at 455-9203 regarding the interpretation of the processes and standards in the Code. SORT (Student Observation Response Team) exists to review and assess unusual student behavior that falls outside of the Code of Conduct.  Contact the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs at 765.455.9214 for additional details and for SORT help. 

Instructor Tardiness

If the instructor is aware that he or she is going to arrive more than 10 minutes late, the department office or the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, 455-9227, should be notified so that students may be given this information.  If it is after normal work hours, contact the Welcome Center – 453-2000 – so that they can post a notice on the classroom door. 

Purdue faculty should contact the Purdue Administrator’s Office, 455-9375.

Instructor Absence / Cancellation of Class

Acceptance of a faculty appointment carries with it the responsibility of meeting every scheduled class for the scheduled length of time. Occasionally, it may be necessary to miss classes because of illness or some other emergency. Classes should not be canceled due to inclement weather. The decision to cancel classes rests with the Vice Chancellor for Administration (see below). When classes must be canceled the faculty member should:

1. Notify the office of the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and appropriate department secretary and arrange for a qualified replacement instructor, if possible, so that the class will not have to be canceled.

Purdue faculty members should contact the Purdue Director’s office. The substitute should be supplied with material for presentation to the class. Secretarial personnel and students are not to be involved in matters that should be handled by instructional staff.

2. Notify the office of Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and appropriate department chair if some emergency arises requiring that the class be suddenly canceled. Purdue faculty members contact the office of the Purdue Administrator.  An announcement should be placed on Canvas as soon as possible to notify students. If possible, students from out-of-town will be notified by phone. This procedure should not be used capriciously, as it is both burdensome and expensive.

3. If a class meeting must be canceled, the class session should be made up by a special meeting, or the assignment of additional academic work. Because of the heterogeneity of courses, instructors, teaching styles, times, etc., it is left up to the discretion of each instructor, in consultation with the chairperson/director of the academic unit, to determine how to make up the missed class. Some alternatives are

a. Extra work outside of class

b. Lengthened class periods where room schedules allow (check with Registrar if this is possible in the currently assigned room.

c. Extra class meetings mutually agreeable to the instructor and students

d. Greater use of the final examination period

4. In nursing, if a faculty member will miss class she/he must contact the appropriate assistant dean or dean in the school of nursing as soon as it is known that the instructor will be late or absent.  In addition - all of the nursing syllabi include the dean's cell phone number and that of the appropriate assistant dean so students can call if they get to class, clinical or lab and an instructor doesn’t show up within an appropriate amount of time.

After 5 p.m., call the Welcome Center switchboard operator, 453-2000, who will then have a note posted on the classroom door, if possible. An announcement should also be posted on Canvas.

Student Attendance

Indiana University and Purdue University expect students to attend all classes. Illness is usually the only acceptable excuse for absence from class. Other absences must be explained to the satisfaction of the instructor who will decide whether work may be made up.

As part of the Early Warning system, instructors are asked to verify attendance and are given several options of student attendance notifications.  Instructors should identify students who have never attended or have stopped attending classes and the date they stopped attending, as well as students who are attending but do not appear on the roster. Students are notified by mail that action is required to resolve their enrollment status.

A student who fails to attend class or to withdraw from a class may be considered to have withdrawn unofficially and be given an “F” in the course.

NOTE: Title IV federal financial aid guidelines require financial aid offices to track non-attendance of financial aid recipients. A grade of “FN” or “FNN” should be recorded on the grade roster as well as last date of attendance for any student receiving a grade of failure for non-attendance. “FN” and “FNN” grades are attributed to non-attendance and are distinguished from “F,” which is based upon performance. 

Snow Policy / Cancellation of Class

It is the general policy of the administration of Indiana University Kokomo that classes will not be canceled because of inclement weather. In those rare emergency situations when classes must be canceled, the following media outlets will be contacted:


City Stations


Logansport WASL/WLHM, WHZR


City Station
Lafayette WLFI
Indianapolis WISH, MyNDY, WIIH,
WRTV, Fox 59

The Office of Administration CFO, or their designee, will make the decision to cancel classes. The Vice Chancellor will notify the Office of Communications and Marketing of the decision for dissemination to the media. Purdue classes follow the decision on Indiana University Kokomo classes. In addition, the employees can get on the Indiana University Kokomo website for the information.

When classes are canceled at Kokomo, the classes off campus are canceled for the same period. If a decision is made to cancel classes at a specific Outreach location, the local radio station in that area will be notified and asked to make appropriate spot announcements.

Students should tune to local radio and television stations for closing information. They can also check the Indiana University Kokomo website ( where a crawler will be run if the campus is closed.  They are asked not to call Indiana University Kokomo for this information. IU-Notify will also be used to inform the campus of an emergency situation. Please note that you must sign-up and keep your information current in to receive alerts via IU-Notify.

Off-campus instructors will be notified by phone if their class is canceled due to the closing of a high school.
The decision for closing will be made by:

5:30 am - campus closed all day and evening
9:30 am - classes beginning at or after 11:30 am are canceled, campus offices close at noon
3:30 pm - classes beginning at or after 5:30 pm are canceled

Severe Weather or Tornado Warning Procedures

Tornado Watch means that weather conditions are such that tornadoes might be created. Tornado Warning means that a tornado has been sighted. One should be prepared to move to a place of safety immediately.


On the issuance of a severe weather or Tornado Warning in the area by the National Weather Service, Safety and Security will immediately contact the building wardens and Physical Plant who will notify everyone in the classrooms and all offices. Classes must be evacuated if a tornado warning is issued. Also, IU-Notify will be used to inform the campus of an emergency situation. Please note that you must sign-up in and keep your information current to receive alerts via IU-Notify.

Personnel from the Physical Plant and the building wardens will see that all persons are alerted to take the following precautions:

1. Main Building (Classrooms, Laboratories, Auditorium)

All persons in the building will move to the basement area to the east end and west end of the corridor, away from windows. Kneel and protect face with hands, jacket, etc.

2. East Building (Classrooms, Laboratories)

All persons in the building will move to the first-floor hallway, away from windows. Doors should be closed on each end of the hall. Kneel and protect face with hands, jacket, etc.

3. Hunt Hall

All persons in the building will move to the basement area. Kneel and protect face with hands, jacket, etc.

4. Observatory Building

The switchboard operator will call the Observatory classroom instructor using the special number provided. Students in the classroom should move from the outside wall and stay close to the inside wall. Kneel and protect face with hands, jacket, etc.

5. Kelley Student Center

All persons should move to Rooms 130 A, B, and C. Kneel and protect face with hands, jacket, etc.

6. Library Building (Art Gallery and Kresge Auditorium)

Move to the basement area.  Kneel and protect face with hands, jacket, etc.

7. Outreach Buildings

Students/staff will be alerted to move to corridors in the buildings, away from windows. Kneel and protect face with hands, jacket, etc.

8. Emergency Notification System - IU Notify

IU Kokomo will use IU Notify, an integrated e-mail, voice mail, and text messaging system, to inform faculty, staff, and students of an emergency situation affecting the campus. 

Please note: It is important that you keep your contact information up-to-date in to ensure you can be reached via IU-Notify.  Once you log in to, select the Change Emergency Notifications task. Once there, you can review and update your phone numbers and non-IU e-mail address.  You can also add more information and choose to receive text alerts by adding your cell phone number in the text field.

Payroll - Indiana University

Adjunct faculty members are paid on the last working day of the month, except for the December pay, which is issued on the first working day in January. Spring semester will be paid January—May. Each summer session is divided into two pay dates:

1. First summer session—one-half paid with the May payroll and one-half paid in June.

2. Second summer session—one-half paid in July and one-half paid with the August payroll.

All university employees (including staff, faculty, graduate students, and hourly) are required to utilize direct deposit for payroll. Information about direct deposit and the self-service process is available at the Web site. Employees may view their most recent payroll information by selecting View Paycheck under Employee Self Service on the page.

Newly hired adjunct faculty will receive a hiring packet of information from the hiring department. All forms, along with the contract, should be returned to the hiring department who will forward paperwork to the proper office—Academic Affairs or Human Resources.

Indiana University Kokomo is required by federal law to have an I-9, employment eligibility verification form, on file for all employees hired on or after November 7, 1986. This form serves as verification that a person is a U.S. citizen or authorized alien entitled to work in this country. If an adjunct faculty previously completed an I-9 and is rehired within three years, a new form need not be filled out. Appointments are terminated if documentation is not on file prior to the beginning of the semester.

All employees are responsible for keeping certain personal data (i.e., mailing address, completion of degrees, etc.) current by using the Personal Data—Change form available from the page. Also, an employee may verify or change the direct deposit information on file with Human Resources from the page/Employee Self-Service block. Tax forms are available from the hiring department or the Human Resource office if an employee elects to make changes. 

Payroll - Purdue University

Purdue “Part-time Lecturers” will receive a contract issued for the current semester only from the campus Director. Tax withholding forms and an Employee Information Form will be sent along with the contract to be completed and returned. All forms should be returned to Wanda Hunt (Kelley Student Center, Room 250).

Part-time lecturers are encouraged to take advantage of direct deposit. This alleviates any delays that may happen with the mail service. A direct deposit form will be included with the contract or contact Wanda Hunt at (765) 455-9339 for a form.

Paychecks are mailed out from the Business Office in the College of Technology at Purdue West Lafayette. Checks can be expected one to two days after payday.

Purdue University is required by federal law to have an I-9, an Employment Eligibility Verification form on file for all employees hired on or after November 7, 1986. This form serves as verification that a person is a U.S. citizen or authorized alien entitled to work in this country. All new part-time lecturers must have the I-9 completed by the first day of employment. Contact Wanda Hunt at (765) 455-9339 to set up a time to complete the form. Any part-time lecturer who is rehired within three years does not have to complete a new I-9. However, the Director’s office will complete a re-verification and contact the part-time lecturer if more information is needed. A re-verification has to be completed by the first day of employment. After three years, the I-9 expires and a new one will have to be completed. The part-time lecturer will be notified if a new I-9 will need to be completed.

Questions concerning personnel and payroll should be directed to Interim Director, Jeff Griffin or Wanda Hunt. They can be reached at (765) 455-9339.

Graphic Standards - Indiana University Kokomo

Use of the Indiana University Kokomo signature, block IU and other visual elements are guided by the Indiana University Style Guide and Integrated Image Manual.  The campus Office of Media and Marketing, KO 286, 455-9409, is available for support and to answer any questions. 

Printed Materials

Wherever possible, please use the Resources function within Canvas to upload materials for students. Recently we have had several faculty members who wish to have manuals for classroom use printed on their own, paid for by their departments, and then have the Bookstore sell the manuals to students. These faculty members want the bookstore to reimburse the department for the cost of printing. This cannot be done. All materials required or suggested for classroom use must be ordered through the Indiana University Kokomo Bookstore. Therefore, we must have the manual’s original copy sent to us, and we submit it to IU Printing to be printed and bound. The Bookstore cannot reimburse departments or individuals for printing or royalty costs.

In addition, faculty members are not to sell any outside textbooks, manuals or other materials directly to their students.

Copyright Issues

If an instructor wants to have an article, book chapter, etc. reproduced for use in the classroom in lieu of an entire textbook, he or she must contact the publisher of the work and get written permission to reproduce that work. Then the original article should be submitted to the Bookstore, along with the written permission.  We will send the manuscript to be printed and then sell it to students.  For fair use copyright information, refer to U.S. Copyright Office Fair Use Index or contact an IU Kokomo Librarian for assistance

Last updated: 07/16/2018